It is expected that for students to achieve their full potential at ACHIEVE Academy, regular and timely attendance is essential. In addition, in order to comply with attendance requirements of the State of Ohio related to the number of contact hours to award credit and/or promotion to the next grade level, the following guidelines have been established to deal with attendance issues.
Out-of-School Suspensions are considered unexcused absences. Students serving out-of-school suspensions may receive credit for work missed during the suspension time. Any student who receives more than 7 unexcused absences in a given quarter must see Curriculum Coach.
An accumulation of more than 12 absences from school or a class per quarter, excused or unexcused, may result in failure for the quarter unless a physician’s statement is provided to document the reason.
Absences must be reported by telephone to the school office by 9:00 AM each morning or 5:00 PM for Evening HS. A written note from a parent or doctor’s office should follow up any absence from and tardy to school as documentation for an excused absence. However, the attendance officer can document the phone contact as proof of the absence as long as she believes the call to be from the parent or guardian and not the student. If a note or legitimate phone call is not received within 5 days after the student returns to school, the absence will be considered unexcused. Only written documentation from a doctor’s office can excuse an absence after the 5-day time limit.
Students who are absent from school, without proper notification regarding their absence for 4 consecutive days, will be reported to the truancy officer of Lucas County. ACHIEVE Academy, in accordance with Ohio Law and Board policy also reserve the right to report any signs of excessive absence from school, whether excused or unexcused, to the proper authorities.
According to Ohio State Law, the school in which a child is attending has the right to fully withdraw a student and report that student truant after 5 consecutive days, 7 days in a month, or 12 days in one school year.
Tardiness is also harmful to the learning process. Therefore, the following will apply:
Anticipated absences or tardies that fall into one or more of the following categories and which are reported in accordance with the Administrations established procedures shall be recorded as "Excused":
Any absences or tardies that fall into the following categories may be recorded as unexcused:
Dress Code Policy
The Board has authorized the Directors to enforce the following dress code/uniform for the school. It is our belief that because it is a choice to enroll in ACHIEVE Academy, you are choosing to follow our dress code, which is as follows:
· Solid color, no jeans (except when special conditions exist)
· Fitted and worn at the waist, no exceptions
· Shorts, skirts mid-thigh or longer
· Appropriate sneakers or shoes. No flip flops
· Closed toed only
· Belts, nothing gang related
· Sweaters/vests, nothing gang related
· No hooded sweatshirts with hoods on during school
· Natural colors only
· Ties, beads, etc… - all one color of neutral colors
· No hats, scarves, doo-rags, sweatbands, etc…
· All headgear stored in locker, not pockets
Piercings, Tattoos and Jewelry
· Earrings only, modest in size
· No visible tattoos
· Necklaces, bracelets, etc, appropriate colors and depictions
· Games, phones, musical devices, etc., must be stored in lockers if brought to school
· ACHIEVE is not responsible for lost or stolen items
Book bags, Purses and Coats
· All stored in lockers only
· Must be worn at all times except for gym
Relax Dress Pass Rewards
· For use as indicated
· Safe, modest and appropriate dress
· No gang identifying items
Leader’s List, Good Conduct List and Good Attendance Reward List
· No uniform for the quarter following the award
· Will lose reward if suspended
The Dress Code applies Monday through Friday (except for Dress-Down Fridays). Students who violate portions of this policy may be asked to remove the improper article, may be given a warning card for parents to sign and return with corrected uniform the next day, may be sent home, may be given community service, or may be suspended depending on the infraction and the frequency of the violations.